Garden View

Garden View
Hello and Welcome! I decided to start this blog for everyone out there who has an interest, or WANTS to be interested, in living a life that is a little more sustainable. I am still learning, and invite you to follow this blog to learn along with me. I will share what I have learned as we go, and hopefully you will pitch in and share what YOU are doing to live a little more off of what you can grow and DO from home. PLEASE BELIEVE ME when I say, if I can learn how to do this on a very small backyard plot in a city, then ANYONE can do this!!

Search This Blog

Monday, April 15, 2013

Easy DIY candle: 99.9% Orange, 100% Natural!

Want a quick, easy and natural citrus candle that you can make in about 5 minutes or less?  With only TWO ingredients?  Well, it's a good thing you stopped by 'cuz I have the perfect recipe for such a thing!


I made this with my daughter (OK, she mostly helped by eating the orange) and it literally only took a few minutes from start to finish.  Here's what you will need:  Navel Orange, Vegetable/Canola or Olive Oil (any vegetable based oil would work fine).  That's it! 

I bought my Oranges from the sale bin at the grocery store for items nearing expiration or that are 'slightly blemished.'  You will be using the section of the orange that has the stem/'button' for the candle base, so be sure to select an orange for this project that doesn't have extra umph in this area.

Take a knife and cut all the way around the orange, 1/2-3/4 of the way up to make your 'base.' 

Now take your fingers and separate the peel from the fruit.  Do this on both sections and be sure to keep the stem in the bottom section attached since this will be you wick (which is so super-cool)!  I accomplished this by simply peeling that part away from the fruit slowly. 

Next, pour in your oil to just below the top of your wick (approximately 1cm).  I used two different types of oil for this experiment.  It seemed to me that the vegetable oil lit a lot easier and burned better.  You will can see the difference in this photo: 


Light your candle!  This actually took me a few tries and I found that the oil really needs to be within 1 cm to light effectively AND it helps to dip the 'wick' in the oil lightly.  I still had to hold the flame to the 'wick' for a bit before it would stay lit on it's own, but once it did they worked fabulously!

I also cut designs into to the tops to create a glow effect.  NOTE: the swirly design started to burn and make my house smell less like citrus-Orange and more like house-fire.  SO, I suggest sticking to simple cut out designs if you go this route.




P.S.: Don't throw out your Orange Peels!  Orange peels are good slug repellents for gardens. The peel can be also be pressed, which produces sweet orange oil and is used to flavor drinks, food and can be used in perfumes and oils for aromatherapy; should you feel so inclined.  OR, put them in your compost bin.  As if this project could get any better, right?!

ENJOY!




This post was featured on the following sites: Featured at the Homestead Bloggers Network

Pin It!

5 comments:

  1. Hi! What a great idea! My girls will want to try this one right away. I found you on the RLT linky when I added my blog today. The name Fresh From Home really caught my eye. Love it! Keep up the fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! I will be picking an orange off the tree tomorrow to try. The kids are going to go nuts:-). Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How wonderful that you can pick one fresh off the tree! I hope you enjoyed it; let me know how it went!

      Delete
  3. I love your idea and it will be our featured favorite from the From the Farm blog hop this week!
    Thanks for sharing!
    Lisa
    Fresh Eggs Daily
    www.fresh-eggs-daily.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! How exciting-glad you liked it! It really is a great project: Quick, fun and EASY!

      Delete