Garden View

Garden View
Hello and Welcome! I decided to start this blog for everyone out there who has an interest, or WANTS to be interested, in living a life that is a little more sustainable. I am still learning, and invite you to follow this blog to learn along with me. I will share what I have learned as we go, and hopefully you will pitch in and share what YOU are doing to live a little more off of what you can grow and DO from home. PLEASE BELIEVE ME when I say, if I can learn how to do this on a very small backyard plot in a city, then ANYONE can do this!!

Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Generations of Swedish Potato Bread

Traditions and Family.  Laughter and Learning.  These are irreplaceable things and are what create timeless memories.  I had the opportunity to not only learn a family recipe from my mother, but to learn it in my kitchen alongside my daughter.  This bread is an absolute must for our family thanksgiving get-together each year.  The following is the story and recipe behind our family Swedish Potato Bread recipe.


Photo Credit: Encyclopedia of Immigration
My Great-Grandmother came to the US straight from Sweden via Ellis Island when she was only 9 months old.  Her family then moved to a Swedish community in Boise, Idaho.  She met and married my Great Grandfather, Mr. Jones of Wales, and they lived out the rest of their days in Colorado.  I was very fortunate to have their influence in my life as a young child; such as the incredible musical talent of Great Grandpa Jones that inspired my mother and myself, and is still living on in with my children.  My great Grandfather was also a great gardener!  Isn't it wonderful to look at your own life and see the generations of influence that have been (willingly or not) instilled inside of you?


Hjelm Farm in Swedish Community-Idaho.  Photo Credit Historical Findings
This recipe was written down by Great Grandma Jones and was influenced by my mother.  There was a time when my mom learned this recipe directly from Great Grandma Jones in her kitchen.  However, Grandma Jones NEVER measured anything and would just say "use about THIS much salt" (after all, that's how she learned it from HER mother).  My mom went through this recipe with her and translated, or measured, as they went and then wrote it all down.  Thank goodness for that, as there was BOUND to be a relative down the line that is a rule-follower and for whom a recipe is a must-have (a-hem)!

With the laminated recipe in my Great Grandmother's handwriting and my mother as the teacher; to my daughter helping in the kitchen (who has an apron from HER great grandmother and is wearing Great-Great Grandmothers belt around her waist), this baking event spanned 5 generations.  Now THAT is something truly priceless!  Without further ado, I give you the treasured Mrs. Jones Swedish Potato Bread original recipe.

NOTE: The below recipe is translated as written on the original recipe.  Since this has been passed down throughout the years, Mom's variation to the recipe has been noted in italics within the recipe.  I love seeing the improvements of the recipe over time!
 
Here's what's cookin': Swedish Potato Bread
Serves:  12
Recipe from the kitchen of: Sigrid Jones

1 Cake yeast or 1 Pkg dry yeast
1 Medium potato
1 Cup Milk
1/2 Cup shortening
1Tbsp Salt
1/2 cup sugar
2 Eggs beaten
Flour

  • Peel potato, cut fine and boil with approximately 1 1/2-2 cups water.  Reserve the potato water after boiling.  (Reserving the potato water allows you to keep the vitamins/minerals and flavor that escape while boiling, for putting back into your recipe). 

  • Meanwhile, scald the milk (Mom says you can scald it in the microwave.  Watch the milk and stop cooking just before boiling.  Mom says you will know it's scalded when it gets 'excited' and starts to foam).

  • Pour milk into large bowl and add Sugar and Salt.

  • Mash potato. 

  • Add shortening, potato and reserved potato water (should be about 1 cup-add water if not).

  • Dissolve the yeast with a little warm water.  Add to the milk mixture, be sure it is luke-warm and not too hot (it will kill the yeast cultures if too hot). 

  • Then add the eggs with the flour:  just enough flour to handle (slowly alternate adding flour and eggs.  You will know when the dough is ready when it doesn't stick to your finger when you poke it!  It should be anywhere from 3-6 cups flour) 
P.S. This dough will keep in ice box for two weeks!
  • Shape into large ball and place into large greased bowl.  Let rise in warm room until double in size
  • Punch dough down and shape into rolls or loaves and place in greased pans.  Let rise again until double in size

  • Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit until golden brown

ENJOY!!  We eat ours with turkey dinner and buttered with Lingon berry Jam for delicious breakfast (and lunch, and dinner) sides.  I hope you make some lasting memories today!
 
Bella the lab wants to know if you will share this recipe?  She's hoping that someone....ANYONE will at least share with HER!  She knows as well as the rest of us that everything DOES taste better when it's Fresh From Home!
 
 
 
 

Pin It!

1 comment:

  1. These look delicious and what an amazing story to go with them! Thanks so much for linking up with LWSL - hope to see you back again!

    ReplyDelete