Garden View

Garden View
Hello and Welcome! I decided to start this blog for everyone out there who has an interest, or WANTS to be interested, in living a life that is a little more sustainable. I am still learning, and invite you to follow this blog to learn along with me. I will share what I have learned as we go, and hopefully you will pitch in and share what YOU are doing to live a little more off of what you can grow and DO from home. PLEASE BELIEVE ME when I say, if I can learn how to do this on a very small backyard plot in a city, then ANYONE can do this!!

Search This Blog

Friday, January 18, 2013

Snow Perches

Do you have places where your flock can get up off the ground?  My handy-husband built the beautiful perch in this picture using some leftover wood posts from building the run and a large stick(with any pokey parts removed).  Before winter approached, I also took several spent garden pots and simply up-ended them in the run.  They love to hop on top of them to perch, especially when there is snow on the ground! 

We have been looking for a nice log stump to use as well, but have not had much luck here in suburbia (and we don't want to pay a fortune for one in a store)!  The rabbit LOVES to hop on top of his "box " (a large wooden shipping crate-not pictured) and lounge as well.  Rabbits love to have a place to rest that is up off the ground a bit and gives them a "lookout" spot.  What have you used for 'snow perches?'

Pin It!

3 comments:

  1. Hello, just found your blog! I am surprised at how many people here in these parts don't do this in their chickens runs. I have tree stumps and branches, too, but I also used a big landscaping brick that was chipped. When we wanted a tree stump, we simply told everyone we knew when we spoke to them, and oddly enough, the very next day a co-worker of my husband cut down a tree and brought some to work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use a wooden pallet that I got free from our local electrical supply store. I also have a tree stump and a couple of concrete blocks, but they don't use those as much as the pallet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We use tree stumps, tree branch perches. I also have an old shower curtain rod as one of their perches.

    ReplyDelete