Garden View

Garden View
Hello and Welcome! I decided to start this blog for everyone out there who has an interest, or WANTS to be interested, in living a life that is a little more sustainable. I am still learning, and invite you to follow this blog to learn along with me. I will share what I have learned as we go, and hopefully you will pitch in and share what YOU are doing to live a little more off of what you can grow and DO from home. PLEASE BELIEVE ME when I say, if I can learn how to do this on a very small backyard plot in a city, then ANYONE can do this!!

Search This Blog

Friday, September 7, 2012

Loud-mouthed, errr beaked, chickens

OK-anyone know how to make a chicken stop hollering like a goose??  We have one Plymouth Barred Rock hen who wants to make sure that our neighbors in the next county hear her-regardless of the time of morning, day, night, etc.  She is LOUD.  Yes, she gets loud when she sings her "egg song" just before laying, but this loud noise making is a constant thing with her.  One of the other hens that used to be very quiet now seems to be mimicking her noises (but this one has actually added a guttural gurgling sound to it...).  They love to free range in the yard and I almost wonder if she is yelling at me to let her out.  They have a very large run with ample space, but they are spoiled and get to have run of the yard occasionally.

The loud-beaked culprit....George

I love the sound of chickens in my backyard and only worry about the excessive noise from George due to our city-setting and close proximity of neighbors.  And, seriously, the barking dogs and screaming kids in the neighborhood are way louder than George......usually. 

I have tried: verbally correcting them, picking her up,clapping with the verbal correction (to which she would sometimes stop briefly, then start in even LOUDER.  I think if chickens could cuss, that's what she was doing).  SO, we are trying something new.....we have a spray bottle filled with water and will squirt it in the offenders direction when the noise gets out of hand.  Surprisingly, it seems to be working.  I am home today and haven't heard the goose-honking noises coming from the backyard so far.



What are your thoughts on this?  Should I just 'forget-about-it?'  Is my resistance futile, OR am I being a good neighbor with my attempts at chicken-sound-training?

Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment