Garden View

Garden View
Hello and Welcome! I decided to start this blog for everyone out there who has an interest, or WANTS to be interested, in living a life that is a little more sustainable. I am still learning, and invite you to follow this blog to learn along with me. I will share what I have learned as we go, and hopefully you will pitch in and share what YOU are doing to live a little more off of what you can grow and DO from home. PLEASE BELIEVE ME when I say, if I can learn how to do this on a very small backyard plot in a city, then ANYONE can do this!!

Search This Blog

Saturday, December 29, 2012

Several Simple Steps to Satisfy Your Chilly Flock

We are having some more chilly temperatures with lows in the single digits (below zero with the wind chill) and highs in the 20's.  Obviously, not everyone is excited about that........



On these cold days, I make sure that the girls have some fresh hay to scratch around in (no straw since the bunny lives with them and it can poke his sweet little eyeballs) with some high protein snack mix hidden in it for some added entertainment.  The hay also gives them something to stand on besides the cold snow.  Chickens love to scratch and they make short work of a flake of hay inside the run!

Here is an example of what is in their winter snack mix (that the bunny also loves to eat too).  This varies in quantities every time I mix it.  A little of this, a little of that:

Cracked corn
Rolled Oats (not the instant kind)
Mealworms
Flaxseed meal (for added Omega 3=more nutritious eggs for us)!
Black Oil Sunflower seeds
Variety Nut mix-peanuts, sunflowers, pistachios,etc (I found this at Wal-Mart in the bird seed section for $9 for a 5lb bag!)
*HINT:  Check with your local farm and/or bird/pet supply stores and ask what they do with their damaged bags of the above items.  You just might score a sweet deal!

Of course our critters always have their regular feed, oyster shell, grit and fresh water available at all times as well.  I try to feed them the treats in the late afternoon/evening before they go to bed, as this raises their body temperature a bit while they digest the high protein content and helps to keep everyone warmer as they snuggle up on the roost at night.  They will also get the occasional bowl of cooked, warm oatmeal as a nice treat on a frigid day, much like today.  Even Odice partakes in this belly (or crop)-warming delight!  Keep your Critters warm and Carry On!










Pin It!

6 comments:

  1. Hi Shanyn id like to know whats in your oatmeal, is it a bit like porridge? im from the uk and our oatmeal is completely different to yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oatmeal in the US is generally just cooked rolled oats - I use 1/3 cup of rolled oats and 1/2 cup of water as a base measurement - when I make oatmeal for the flock of 62 I usually make it with 6 cups of oats and 9 cups of water and cook until thick - about 15 minutes total? They really love it on a cold day!

      Delete
    2. Hi Neil, Basic US Oatmeal is just rolled oats. I always add stuff into it for the chickens that will give them an extra boost of warmth if I can; such as nuts and/or berries, flax seed, mealworms, etc. Can you tell me what UK oatmeal is? I'm not sure I know the difference either!

      Delete
  2. Great advice! This is our first winter with chickens, so I am taking serious notes on your advice :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tips. My flock loves warm oatmeal on cold Maine winter mornings. We also make baked potato for them some days. Warning, potato skins are not appropriate to feed chickens raw, but cooked is fine. Avoid any with green spots, too.

    Sonja of www.lallybrochfarms.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Meredith/GreenCircleGroveDecember 29, 2012 at 7:37 PM

    My girls love warm oatmeal--sometimes I'll add raisins and like you, a sprinkle of flax seeds. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete